PDA

View Full Version : Spending around 75 on a Vid card...

USS Final Frontier
12th November 2002, 11:17 AM
Is it time to move on from a Geforce2 MX 200??? :p

System is a gaming machine... Epox 8KHA+, XP2000+, 256M DDR and a Geforce2 MX 200 (32MB) vid card.... I'm not having trouble with it, the PC is a new upgrade and the Vid card was not replaced when I upgraded. Currently playing CS, Dungeon Siege, ST Armada II, Emperor:Battle for Dune and planning to get into UT (have Totally unreal ATM) :D

I have an SDRAM Athlon Rig with a Geforce2 MX 400 (64MB) (might be DDR????) in my network as well - I was going to swap the vid cards over between the machines... but decided to have a look at what 75 UK would buy me - I do OC the FSB :D on most of my systems and currently have the games machine stable at fsb142(has been upto 150) with the MX 200 in it ;)

First (and most serious) point! Do I need/Will I notice an improvement...

Secondly! I've noted 3 cards in the price bracket - what do you think?

Crucial ATI Radeon 8500LE + TV(s-vid)out [128MB DDR memory
250MHz core frequency/6ns memory] @ 71.09

Gainward GeForce 4 PP Pro/650 [MX 460 64MB DDR + TV-out] @ 70.50

Sparkle Geforce 3 Ti 200 [64Mb DDR + TV-out] @ 75.20

I've seen the Radeon card elsewhere for 100 (64MB version) but found that Crucial have spread to GFX cards... I also included the Geforce 3 Ti card, as I'd heared that a lot of the bargin Geforce 4's were cut down versions of the better 'Ti' Geforce3 cards (Basically is Ti 200 better than MX 460) So that's my 3 - ATM I'm edging bets that the 8500LE is better but being no expert on GFX cards - I'll let you decide for me! :)

Bursar
12th November 2002, 11:48 AM
In terms of performance, you have listed them in the right order :)

The 8500 should out perform the GF4, and that in turn will stomp on the GF3.

As to noticing the difference, with all other things being equal, the upgrade to an 8500 should give you somewhere in the region of a 3-4x FPS increase over the old MX200 :D (so from 50FPS to 150-200FPS).

So you can either play at break neck speed, or turn on all the eye candy :)

I've never used an ATI card in a gaming rig, so I'm afraid I don't know how well it will clock.

Fireblade
12th November 2002, 11:58 AM
wotchya USS FF :)

Since it's mainly for gaming, of the three cards ye've listed, I'd suggest the Gainward, but if ye fancy a Radeon, ye can get better than the 8500LE for not much more m8 ;)

A month or so ago, you could get your hands on a retail 128mb Sapphire Radeon 9000 PRO for 95.36 incl VAT. They may even have come down slightly since then, and IMHO... the extra 25 would be well worth it ;)

Newer card, more/better features, and the additional memory... whilst it won't necessarily be used in current games, will benefit you when newer, more graphics intensive games come out next year :thumbsup:

For the same sorta money however (95), ye could get a retail 64mb Creative Ti4200... and the Ti4200 is a kick-ass gaming card - with TV-Out as an added bonus ;)

BTW... you can get that Gainward ye've mentioned (Retail 64mb Gainward PRO/650TV Golden Sample with TV-Out) for 67.59 incl VAT :thumbsup:

If yer interested, i'll see what other prices I can dig up for ya :)

MrP
12th November 2002, 12:23 PM
if you can push the boat out a little further i would get a 64mb geforce 4 ti4200

you should be able to get one for 90 plus the dreaded, but it will leave most of the cards you listed for dead

toodles :xsofa:

Fireblade
12th November 2002, 12:39 PM
so true MrP...

Originally posted by annihilator
For the same sorta money however (95), ye could get a retail 64mb Creative Ti4200... and the Ti4200 is a kick-ass gaming card - with TV-Out as an added bonus ;)

I beat you to it this time :lol:

MrP
12th November 2002, 01:00 PM
so true MrP...

I beat you to it this time :lol:

helps when i read the post properly dosent it!

toodles :xsofa:

USS Final Frontier
13th November 2002, 12:42 AM
wotchya USS FF :)

128mb Sapphire Radeon 9000 PRO for 95.36 incl VAT. They may even have come down slightly since then, and IMHO... the extra 25 would be well worth it ;)

Newer card, more/better features, and the additional memory... whilst it won't necessarily be used in current games, will benefit you when newer, more graphics intensive games come out next year :thumbsup:

For 70 the 8500 quoted is 128MB ;) and as its crucial - was hoping that it would take the OC well :D

Thing about shifting budget by 25 is - Once there, for another 10 you can get better again, and for only 15 extra.... and then all of a sudden I've spent 150+ and wondering WTF happened :D Bearing in mind I just got the 'bullet' at work.... :(

At 70 I thought I was aiming at a not much more than Budget Vid cards... but the ATI Radeon 8500LE (128MB) seems a far cry from budget performance from what I've seen on the www today... Only prob is - I'm really trusting on the Nvid card chipset - never failed me yet and the ATI has been quoted as having cranky Drivers!! :rolleyes:

Cheers for the advice..... :p

CyberdynSystems
13th November 2002, 12:50 AM
Why is the TI 4200 so damn pricey over there? Ouch!

USS Final Frontier
14th November 2002, 02:42 AM
...so maybe I could send you a cheque :D - how much does it hurt your bank balance then???

speculative
5th December 2002, 06:12 AM
Hmm... Well, ATI now has their "Catalyst" drivers out, have had 'em for quite some time now and they've given me rock-solid performance. Haven't had problems with ATI drivers for over half a year now on this Radeon 64MB DDR. :thumbsup: However, this card doesn't like to be OC'd too much - the Radeons are already built "pushed to the limit" so don't expect to OC them too much. They will take reasonable FSB OC"ing as part of your general OC strategy for your entire rig, however.

-spec

Rids
16th December 2002, 07:45 AM
Well I originally bought a GeForce4 MX440 (wronggg) and have now bitten the bullet and bought a GeForce4 Ti4200 - Hell of a difference :)

Dewill
16th December 2002, 04:43 PM
Yes they are rather good arn't they :p
The ATI Rads are ok, but don't seem to like FSB ocing as much as the N-vid stuff, as for what you see well I could not say the ATI was any better TBO, but it was a fussy git to set up.
So I went back to good ol N-vid :p

Jed ;)

jema
16th December 2002, 05:24 PM
I'n struggling a little with my Ti4200 at the moment, it does screw up and freeze the PC, at strange intervals, like it will let you work for a week without issue, and then start crashing frequently. last night I tried to make a short post on the board 3 times with the PC crashing each time :(

I'm now going through trying different resolutions/via driver etc :eek:

jema

Fireblade
16th December 2002, 05:35 PM
The new ATi Radeon 9500 range are very worthy of attention these days too. The PRO version apparently kicks Ti-4200 a$$ ;)

But then again... there are new, souped-up/'Turbo' Ti-4200's being released as well, many of which have the added benefit of 8x AGP support too, so the video card wars are heatin' up again (GeForce FX anyone :D)... and that can only be a good thing for us end-users :thumb:

NorthernYankee
16th December 2002, 07:34 PM
I Love my 8500 128mb great card and can run max settings on all games and still maintain 80+FPS mine is a reatil Ati card...with that said DO NOT BUY THE CRUCIAL CARD...fear it like the plague Crucial seriously screwed the pooch with the 6ns RAM clocked at 166mhz my card has 3.3ns RAM(i belive...can't remember and don't feel like opening the case to look) but its clocked at 275mhz and will o'clock to around 300mhz...The 8500 card needs more mem bandwidth than the Crucial setup can give, which makes it seriously handicapped.

Also I would stay away from the MX cards without the DX8 support you will find yourself yearning for an upgrade sooner than if you got a different card. If this wasn't going to be a gaming rig I would say a MX would be fine...but not for a gaming rig.

My recomendation would be a Sapphire Radeon 9000pro I got one for my parents a few months back and even though it only has 64mb of RAM it still held its own in most benchmarks compared to my card. The only other card I would recommend would be a 4200 any flavor...I dont know their prices in your neck of the woods but if you can swing it get on of those two cards.

--NY

Dewill
16th December 2002, 08:10 PM
Check out ebuyer.com they have ati9000 an ti4200 in your price range :)

Jed ;)