PDA

View Full Version : How to share files through cable connection

Grinder
20th October 2002, 09:25 PM
Its me again:D
What is the best way to share my files on my pc with my friend and vice verser?
Now we both have win xp pro , home network and broadband.
Ive tryed VPN but is crap, cant seem to share files.
Do i need a FTP program ?
We need something so we can share our files with that makes full use of broadband and has a fast tranfer rate.
Can anyone help.:typing: Please.

mackerel
20th October 2002, 10:01 PM
There are a few ways you could do this. Any method will be limited by the slowest link in the connection, which will probably be the upload speed of your service, e.g. 128 kbit for a "512k" cable modem.

Do you know what the files are before you send them? Or do you want it to be browse-able?

In the first case, instant messaging services will let you send files to each other. I've only used ICQ and MSN Messenger.

For browsable files, setting up a web or ftp server would do nicely. it's built into Win2k pro so I assume it's in XP pro too. But I've not used either to know how easy it is to do. There's also a load of third party web/ftp servers if you don't want to use MS.

Grinder
20th October 2002, 10:49 PM
Yes, we want to browse files and download want we want, from either pc.Now ive downloaded bulletproof ftp , but im still working out the program.Im using aol instant messenger but that is temper mental.
I just want something simple to browse and exchange files.
Rather then putting them on a cd and passing it to and throw all the time.
We can connect with VPN but cant see each others files.
Hope you have the answers.:nod:
Also i cant find any ftp program on Win XP pro. It may be there but i am quite stupid and my eyes do hurt a little.;)

Grinder
20th October 2002, 10:55 PM
Yes ive found FTP service on Win XP in add components .I told you i was stupid . Should i install that ? Could that solve my problem.:worship:

mackerel
21st October 2002, 12:08 AM
I have to say that I've not really played about with the built in ftp/web server in Windows. In theory, you can set up an ftp server and create logins. So only people you want can log in and download stuff. But I don't know how that works in this case.

I might have a play with it tomorrow and see what happens. Now, I need sleep ;)

Jake
21st October 2002, 03:30 AM
Yup the windows FTP server in Win2k and XP will help you out. It runs on port 21 by default and setting it up isn't too bad. Its part of the IIS services and you set it up in a similar way to a website. If you have any questions, send a PM for more details. I could even take a few screen shots of my current set up if you like.

Grinder
21st October 2002, 03:20 PM
By the way thanks for your help so far, its much appreciated;)
Ive installed WinXP Ftp, now im looking for way to get into the program.I cant even find it.:confused:
Im pretty switched on with computers but this file sharing malarky is a bit over my head:nuts: so please be patient with me.
I would be interested in any pics you might relating ftp program of course.
Ive just got home from work so I will browse around my pc for a while .
Chow for now.

bubbadog
21st October 2002, 03:28 PM
Jake, would you mind just posting the screenshots, etc here? I am also very interested in how to do this, as I will be having to do it soon and I am clueless :D (those of you with comments, please keep them to yourselves!)

^7_of_9
30th October 2002, 12:52 AM
It's mostly done through Control Panel in the IIS services as I've also setup the FTP on a WinXP before myself. Fairly easy to manage and everything. If Jake doesn't do it before I get home I'll let him know about this thread again when I talk to him on MSN tonight during our kick-@$$ session of the other WR Teams :lol:

Jake
30th October 2002, 12:54 AM
Screen Shots coming

Grinder
30th October 2002, 12:55 AM
I cant wait no longer so I,ve worked it out. I can now share files using WinXP VPN , the problem was on my home network I am the server.The problem was my mates was the same .So we both had the same IP on our home network.I changed my IP address on my nic card and walla we were sharing files.:booty:
Now Ive got a Belkin router . :banghead: I put my ip address of my computer into DMZ to step outside the firewall,to share files. But i can see my friends files but he cant see mine. :nuts:
Now it seems im still behind a firewall.I'll have to work on this one.:constip:

^7_of_9
30th October 2002, 12:56 AM
Disregard most of my last post then (Cept the part about the butt kicking :D )

Jake
30th October 2002, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by bubbadog
Jake, would you mind just posting the screenshots, etc here? I am also very interested in how to do this, as I will be having to do it soon and I am clueless :D (those of you with comments, please keep them to yourselves!)

Ok, I see that Grinder has it now, but for anybody else curious (that means you bubbadog) try this (http://www.x2fl.com/ftp/). It will be online for at least a few monthes until I clear out that webspace. It was just too much of a pain to put the pics right here in the post.

Let me know if you have any problems.

bubbadog
30th October 2002, 03:19 AM
:kisses: Thanks Jake! :kisses:

Grinder
30th October 2002, 10:12 AM
Yes I ended up sharing files through VPN. But I was still interested in FTP and that was worth waiting for.That was a great thread!Thank you from me.:thumbsup:
Now ive created a new problem, sharing files through a router.
I can jump outside the firewall using DMZ , See my friends files but he cant see mine. So now im going to set up this FTP info you have kindly donated.:D

LostIt
31st October 2002, 09:00 PM
If youve got any interest in FTP, I've been using Guild FTP server on my site for over a year and haven't had any problems. Very nice to setup, manage, create/delete users, setpermissions etc.

It's available free at http://www.guildftpd.com/ . I would add that the gentleman that runs the Guild FTP "shop", has UNBELEIVABLE, QUALITY, FAST support for the high price of FREE.

Ciao,

LostIt

^7_of_9
31st October 2002, 09:11 PM
I've used GuildFTP as well myself until I installed it yesterday. If you share files over IRC through FTP but want to monitor to make sure that the person downloading/accessing a file from your FTP is on there then GuildFTP is great for that purpose.