PDA

View Full Version : cable modem security

MrP
4th October 2002, 09:02 PM
ok, so i'm getting NTL's 600k service.

question now is how do i keep my network secure???

will a software firewall do the job well though and if so how many machines am i going to need it on. just the server, or every machine that access the net?

do i use w2k's/xp's own firewall

so i setup a machine as a sandbox, or is there a better way??

ideas and suggestions please

toodles :xsofa:

mackerel
4th October 2002, 10:18 PM
Personally, I believe that a firewall only on the net facing machine is necessary to prevent really bad stuff from happening. I have used the XP buit in one in the past, but since switching back to 2k, I have bought a copy of Black Ice PC Protection. I could use ZoneAlarm Pro (which I have also bought in the past) but it seems to conflict with too much stuff, causing weird lockups with too much sofware for me. Personally I'm looking for prevention of external intrusions, but I'm not concerned with software within my network getting out.

Alternatives include a hardware router, but I've not tried that route so can't comment. Alterntively, you could check out smoothwall if you have a spare low-ish spec PC doing nothing.

MrP
5th October 2002, 03:26 PM
Mackerel,

plenty of low spec PC's around.

i snagged 4 off a client that i was going to do up and give to data, but hes nto respending to anything i send him, so i have 4 spare machines.

care to tell me what smoothwall is then and where i can get it???

toodles :xsofa:

5th October 2002, 03:28 PM
Hi P mate,
I would recommend a hardware solution. Either a dedicated Router/Firewall, such as a Linksys or Netgear. Or there's a unixy solution floating around at work, that works on an old 486 or pentium system - and fits on a floppy disk.

jema
5th October 2002, 05:06 PM
I am firmly in the hardware camp since installing my 90 linksys (expect they are cheaper now :) ) Software is always prone to problems, with a hardware forewall you just *know* that all they can see (unless you set it otherwise in a specific few cases) is the firewall box, and it is not like say a linux firewall where if they were to get access to the box they would have tools apleny to get further :rolleyes: a hardware firewall will let you sleep at night!

jema

mackerel
5th October 2002, 05:12 PM
MrP,

Smoothwall can be found at http://www.smoothwall.org/
There's two versions, a GPL version, and a more highly featured commercial version so I guess this is comparable to Zonalarm for example. It's a 20-ish meg download of an ISO image, creating a bootable CD.

Basically it's a custom package based off linux designed specifically to be a replacement to the likes of a hardware router.

I'm thinking of putting it on my network at the moment since the PC I am using to access the net often gets rebooted (mostly intentional ;) ) and I want to leave the connection running for other PCs on the network. I have used Windows solutions in the past but for whatever reason sometimes it just decideds not to work.

8th October 2002, 12:15 PM
Here's a link to the LEAF site. There's some very useful utilities here, that are well worth downloading and having a play......

http://lrp.steinkuehler.net/

CyberdynSystems
9th October 2002, 07:39 PM
I use the Lynksys router at home and the Netgear at work. Both the standard low cost ones.
($80.0-$100.00) As it is I have no way of knowing how secure that makes my stuff. But they are easy easy easy.

Of the two, I am torn. I think that the Netgear -MAY- slow down gaming on the net, but as it is at work, it could be the PC itself...(solo misssions much smoother)

Linksys,.... oh,.. Linksys,. Linksys, Linksys,.... why is it that your products are so flimsy???

My Linksys router works great when it doesn't overheat and shut itself down. Which happens at the most inoportune times!

Like all Linksys gear I have used, it is a great idea, and easy to use, .. but suffers from cheap construction and has a hi chance of diying early. I know this is probably just my experience. But all three Linksys products I have owned have had the same fate... and early death.

MrP
11th October 2002, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by CyberdynSystems
My Linksys router works great when it doesn't overheat and shut itself down. Which happens at the most inoportune times!

hmmmm,

i'm beginning to think this is a common thing.

at work we bought a dlink router for our ADSL connection, and that kept crashing due to heat (and or load)

does anyone else have this problem???

todles :xsofa:

jema
11th October 2002, 09:55 AM
Well my cheap linkSys router and the edimax switch I use, stay on 24/7 and have not been rebooted for months.

I do have a small suspicion that they do need an occasional reboot though....

jema