PDA

View Full Version : SL-75DRV5 BIOS Tweaks??

Padwah
29th September 2002, 10:10 AM
Hey Guys, I've just got my hands on a new Soltek SL-75DRV5 and I'm just wandering if anyone has any BIOS tweaking tips for me or has seen one online anywhere?

The system specs are: SL-75DRV5 motherboard, XP 1800 CPU, 256Mb PC2100 (2x128), FOP32 HSF, Gainward Geforce 4 Ti 4200 Golden Sample.

I haven't tried overclocking it yet, I need to get a new HSF for a start as its running a bit warm! But I want to get it moving as fast as I can from stock first so if anyones got any recomendation it would be appreciated :)

Fireblade
29th September 2002, 01:54 PM
can't help ya personally Padwah... but I know a man who pro'ly can :D

DodgyGeeza has run a Soltek SL-75DRV2 board fer quite a while, and he's a bit of an OCing wizard, so I'll see if I can get hold of 'im for ya ;)

Padwah
29th September 2002, 03:40 PM
Cool, cheers annihilator :)

Just ran my system through 3D Marks and reached 9949 but I'm sure I can get it much higher than that without too much hassle :)

CyberdynSystems
29th September 2002, 08:02 PM
9949 is down right nice with a ti4200 and XP1800. If this is before tweeking, we will be interested to see the final results.

dodgygeeeza
29th September 2002, 09:28 PM
hi padwah,what temps are you running at the moment as you say they are running a bit warm.. i'm running a 1700+ @144fsb with temps of
24c system 38c cpu...;)

Padwah
29th September 2002, 11:42 PM
Cyberdyn, yep 9949 is with everything pretty much stock, the only thing that I have done is used the optimised settings on the GeForce Golden Sample putting the core at 270 and the memory at 529, but I'm sure I can get a lot better :)

DGeeza, when I said its running a little warm I have no real idea how hot it is! I've tried using the ITE Smart Gaurdian temperature sensor that came with the board but it's not that informative, temp1 is usually around 45-55C and temp2 is always 201C, so I guess it's not quite working right! I've only got the stock HSF that came with the CPU coupled with a front inlet fan and a rear exhaust cooling it so I think I'm gonna get a new cooler and try and clock it up a bit :) What cooling are you using? Cause tose are some nice temps you got there!

dodgygeeeza
30th September 2002, 11:01 AM
i'm using the akasa 765 hs/f which is a bog standard type of cooler..
i also fitted a 80mm blowhole with a port in the case side opposite the cpu, the port stops 10mm short of the cpu fan,2x80mm exhaust fans at the rear..do not use the thermal pad that comes with most h/s
as the palamino's tend to cook it after a short while and your temps will stay high, my temps under load running g@h are 24c system 44c cpu. i also use smart guardian temp 1 is my system temp2 cpu..
i am only using standard white thermal paste smeared very thinly,;)

Padwah
30th September 2002, 05:29 PM
Back to the temps business I've just installed Motherboard Monitor 5 and set it up for this board and things are looking better/worse than I thought! The internal CPU temp from the diode in the CPU itself gets up to 75-80C underload whilst the under chip sensor is usually around 50-55C and the case temps around the 40'sC.

So the in chip temp seems pretty high, but the others aren't too bad for a stock AMD HSF and a bit of thermal paste, if I can improve the airflow through the case I reckon the other temps will drop slighly but I definately think that I need get a decent HSF if I want to get this thing overclocked because I think I'll probably end up frying the chip if these temps are anything to go by!

dodgygeeeza
30th September 2002, 06:28 PM
those temps don't seem right somehow,even when i had no case fans the temps were lower than yours, unmodded case temps were :system 32c , cpu 52c..are you sure that your h/s is sitting dead flat on your cpu as this could cause high temps for cpu and case.. the best way to check this is carefully take off your h/s and you should see a nice inprint of your cpu, including a mirror image of the writing of the cpu...;)

Padwah
30th September 2002, 10:53 PM
The temps don't seem right to me either. I've just reseated the Heatsink, there was a nice impint, and the temps seem to have gone down slightly. After a healthy bout of the latest UT2K3 demo motherboard monitor is reporting 60C die temp, 45C underchip temp and 35C case temp which does seem a bit more like it should be, though my case temp still seems a touch high, oh well I'll have a play later :)

One last question though, what is the default voltage for XP chips, I had a quick bump up of the FSB and only managed 140Mhz at the default voltage, but I don't know what to raise it too as I don't know what it should be in the first place if that makes sense?

dodgygeeeza
30th September 2002, 11:18 PM
the default voltage is 1.75v, in the bios i leave the voltage on auto and the smart guardian reads it at 1.79v, that way it will set the correct voltage even when overclocking;)

Padwah
1st October 2002, 10:36 AM
Cool, cheers dodgygeeza much appreciated, I'll get her flying soon :)

dodgygeeeza
1st October 2002, 02:07 PM
no problem m8, let us know how you get on;)

Padwah
2nd October 2002, 07:33 PM
Well it looks like I might have got the temperatures sorted out eventually. I'm back with Smart Guardian and I'm getting CPU temps of 45C and 25C for the system, which is considerably better :)

Started tweaking up the FSB, just pushed it up to 140, which was enough to push me over 10000 points in 3DMark 2001 with a final score of 10007 :D Only just over but I'll squeeze more out of it!

dodgygeeeza
2nd October 2002, 08:50 PM
they are normal temps now, my cpu temp is lower because of the side blow hole and port mod..btw what windows are you running;)

Padwah
2nd October 2002, 11:13 PM
I'm running Windows XP at the moment but it's a slightly 'ahem' dodgy version so I might switch back to my legit copy of Win 2K unless I can convince work to buy me a legal copy of Win XP :)

I'm starting to plan my cooling a bit now, I've just made an extra inlet fan out of a couple of spare fans that squeeze in to two of my spare 5.25" drive bays drawing air through a modified face plate. It's dropped my system temp by 8C under load and the CPU temp by 5C, it's made by slightly with slightly inefficient cardboard at the moment but I'm gonna have a play with my dads plastic molding press thing and make it a bit more professional. I reckon with that I can get the temps down by another 5C or further if I actually shell out on a decent HSF combo :)

Padwah
3rd October 2002, 08:14 PM
Wicked, just well and truely brocken the 10,000 barrier in 3D Mark :)

Still only using a 140Mhz FSB but I messed about with the memory timings a bit and clocked the G4 up a bit but I ended up with this:http://www.game-shed.co.uk/Stuff/3dmark.png

I know it's tsill not that great but I'm happy to get nicely over the 10,000 :)

dodgygeeeza
3rd October 2002, 10:24 PM
nice one m8:D just got the msi g4 ti4200 128mb card so now i'll to do a 3d mark test to see if i can get near your score;)

Padwah
4th October 2002, 12:48 AM
I suspect they'll be pretty similar, your CPU speed is just a touch higher but we'll have pretty much the same card, mines the Ti4200 128Mb Gainward Golden Sample, so it would be cool to see what you get :)

dodgygeeeza
4th October 2002, 10:27 AM
i got 9178 3D marks score, thats without tweaking the grapics card, so i'm happy with that.. as the old radeon ve 64mb ddr only scored
about 2300, so thats a big improvement on my system:cool:

Padwah
4th October 2002, 11:42 AM
hehe, nice jump up the 3D Mark ladder there! Tweak that graphics card a bit and you'll be well up :)

Fireblade
4th October 2002, 12:42 PM
this is gonna be an interesting little tweaking 'competition' :D

dodgygeeeza
4th October 2002, 01:20 PM
this could get intresting later fb..:D tweaking fingers on the buttons guys:p

Padwah
4th October 2002, 11:57 PM
hehe, I'm up for a bit of healthy competition :) Should be getting a decent HSF next week so hopefully I can get the FSB up a bit higher so, as they say, we shall see :D

dodgygeeeza
5th October 2002, 10:59 AM
just a little tweak on the G4 and nice little jump to 9505 3d marks, i'll let that burn in for awhile and then attack the bios:p :D

Fireblade
5th October 2002, 05:18 PM
you don't hang about when it comes t' OCing anything, do ya Dodgy :p keep em comin' tho'... I'm keen t' see this little OCing comp' hot up... as it were/so t' speak :D

dodgygeeeza
5th October 2002, 06:15 PM
watch this space:D more later...;)

Padwah
6th October 2002, 10:45 PM
Slowly getting the FPS up a bit higher, only up to 142Mhz so far but it bagged me 10109 in 3DMark, temps aren't too bad at the now either hanging around 55-58C under load, not too bad for hte stock AMD jobbie :)

BTW Dodgy, does the DRV2 use the same BIOS updates as the DRV5? Cause at the moment I'm just using the standard V1.3 BIOS, not too sure if it's worth my bother flashing it up to the latest V1.6 cause I haven't found any forum recommendations anywhere!

Padwah
7th October 2002, 10:35 PM
Getting slightly better now just bagged this: http://www.game-shed.co.uk/Stuff/3dmark3.png :D

dodgygeeeza
7th October 2002, 11:00 PM
i,m still using the original version 1.0 bios that came with the mobo,it's only advisable to upgrade your bios if you are having problems,;) btw nice 3d score m8:cool:

Padwah
10th October 2002, 06:33 PM
Yeah, I know the perils of dodgy BIOS flashing only too well, fortunately when I cocked it up last time I managed to breath some life back into my old Abit KT7, I just want to get as much out of this new board as I can. Going pretty well so far, slowly racking up the 3DMarks:

http://www.game-shed.co.uk/Stuff/3dmark4.png

dodgygeeeza
10th October 2002, 11:25 PM
nice going padwah;) creaping up nicely m8..:p

Padwah
10th October 2002, 11:32 PM
Tis getting there :D

How's your end going? Tweaked up that new G4 yet? I've got mine running at 280Mhz core and 520Mhz memory so far but I reckon it'll be good for more.

dodgygeeeza
11th October 2002, 12:22 AM
mine's running @ 270 core 481 memory with 9502 3d mark score,been reading up on o/c these cards, you can crank em up to 310 core 605 memory..:p the 4200 will run higher than a unclocked 4600. someone has managed to get a 13000 3d mark score out of a 4200, but that is uncertified...:rolleyes:

Padwah
11th October 2002, 12:17 PM
13000 out of a Ti4200! Whats the rest of his system like? I doubt I could crank my card up enough to get a score like that!