PDA

View Full Version : Miniscule overclock, Super Pi incompatible?

your momma
26th September 2002, 08:21 PM
I overclocked my Athlon T-bird 1.4GHz AYHJAR to 1.54GHz:cool: (10.5x146 @ 1.82 core volt) and now my system seems to be running slower and super pi wont run.:confused: Has anyone had a problem with their overclocked system and super pi?

I am using Windows XP Professional, service pack 1. The rest of my system should be listed below my post.

dodgygeeeza
26th September 2002, 10:54 PM
the overclocking should not affect super p1,was it working ok before you installed service pack 1...;)

Ragnarog
26th September 2002, 11:54 PM
@1.4Ghz: SuperPi is fine

@1.54 Ghz: SuperPi crashes

Conclusion: your CPU is oc'ed too high and isnt stable :)

It could also be the memory, or FSB....

Rag

your momma
27th September 2002, 01:33 AM
But see, every other program on my computer (including benchmarks like Mad Onion 3D Mark 2001, Sandra, and Winstone suite) runs perfectly fine. Also, my games are playing better than ever. It's just random slow downs while just in Windows. Like 100% CPU usage while I'm not doing anything. I think it's the program that may be at fault.

your momma
27th September 2002, 01:34 AM
And....No super pi wasn't running fine before service pack 1.

CyberdynSystems
27th September 2002, 02:40 AM
and now my system seems to be running slower and super pi wont run

But see, every other program on my computer (including benchmarks like Mad Onion 3D Mark 2001, Sandra, and Winstone suite) runs perfectly fine

Sorry if i'm a bit confused, but if it effects the whole system as you say in your first post, then that is the problem. Even if some things do run OK as you say in your second quote, at that FSB lots of things on the PCI bus may be effected. And if Superpi is like SETI then when it floors your cpu at 100%, then you are generating more heat then even your benchmarks.

Drop the FSB a few points.

dicki
28th September 2002, 08:26 AM
super pi, unlike some other programs won't run if your clocked to high.

basically all the program does is lots and lots of accumulative mathamatics and if it spots any errors in the maths it'll break.

when a computer is clocked too high it can start believing 2+2 = 4.00000000000000000000001 and over time that error becomes significant to a program like super pi while other programs such as games just ignore it and carry on.

anyway i agree with rag it sounds like its clocked too high in some way. either lower the fsb relax the memory timings or increase the voltage... one of those steps should help

dicki

BigBen
7th March 2003, 08:41 PM
Hi,
Can't find my original post concerning superpi so I hope you don't mind that I have highjacked this one... I found a program called pifast and I did pi to 1 million decimal places in 3.61 seconds :eek:

bubbadog
7th March 2003, 08:54 PM
Is this (http://www.ninjamicros.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=12149&highlight=calculate)what you are looking for BigBen?