PDA

View Full Version : Need A Hard Disk? Make Yours Super-sized

Gservo
26th September 2002, 03:22 AM
We've written about the coming age of terabyte-sized storage for PCs, and the latest generation of hard disks from Western Digital and Maxtor make that possibility a reality. This week, Western Digital announced its new Drivezilla hard disks that come in sizes up to 200GB. But not to be outdone, Maxtor announced new Super-Sized (yes, that's the product
name) hard disks in sizes up to a whopping 320GB. Let's see ... Most PCs support up to four IDE devices, such as hard disks. Four times 320 is ... Oh, yes.

speculative
7th October 2002, 05:49 AM
That = .mpeg/.avi./.wmp/.divx !!! :)

-speculative

jema
7th October 2002, 07:32 AM
These sorts of sizes make the idea of having a server box in the house housing your entire media collection a very distinct reality :)a 320gb drive represents about 150hours of high quality video!

jema

mackerel
7th October 2002, 07:50 AM
What scares me about ever increasing hard disk sizes is where do you backup the data to? CD-Rs may be cheep, but they're too small and you'l need dozens of them. Having just moved to DVD-R it helps a lot, but it's only a matter of time before I have hundreds of the things lying around too.

There is another possiblilty... hard disks becomming so cheep that you can raid them such that backups against physical failure are no longer needed :) I'm not thinking of mirroring, that's not efficient enough, but more raid 5. Seems like with disks getting into the 100's of GB, a terabyte raid setup is now more affordable then ever. Imagine how much of the internet you could back up on that...

(overnight, I have leeched over 16000 jpg files, totaling 2.1 GB :D And it's not pron either...)

PatchleAD
8th October 2002, 04:13 AM
i've Just got my 4th 60Gig WD Hard drive..... and tried to use windows 2k server's raid 5 option..... has anyone used it? I made a 150 odd gig drive...(striped 50gig of all 4 drives) and it seemed to act realy strange..... but in the next 2 days the whole system has gone down..... do not know if it the power supply ot MB.... but i have found one on the 60gig drives have died as well..... i can't win.... Should a 300W power supply (amd complient) be able to handle 4 ATA 100 HD's 3 CD roms 3 80MM fans and a 1.2 Gig Tbird?.... no idea....
but back to what i started to say i have ..... had .... 222Gig of formated HD in my beast... well if only for 3 days....:rolleyes:

Fireblade
8th October 2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by PatchleAD
.... Should a 300W power supply (amd complient) be able to handle 4 ATA 100 HD's 3 CD roms 3 80MM fans and a 1.2 Gig Tbird sad t' hear of yer problems PatchleAD, but they could very well have been started due to lack of power? That's an awful lot of hardware to be powered by a lowly 300w PSU IMO! Treat yourself to a decent/respected 400w+ model, and ye may find yer problems won't re-occur ;)

Good luck in fixing yer 'current' prob's :D

PatchleAD
8th October 2002, 09:22 PM
400W hay...... that should be enough? any brand recomended.... enomax? they make a nice looking 400 odd Watt supply....
o-yea.... i found a couple of capacitors on the power circuit on my Asus A7V133 MB have started to bubble.,.... ;(.... must be the power.... ;) need a new computer.... anyone got a spare $1500?

PatchleAD
8th October 2002, 09:25 PM
annihilator got any pic of the two systems?? sounds nice

Fireblade
8th October 2002, 10:14 PM
Sure... try these m8 'Fire+Ice' (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jayne.allsop/Hosted/fire&ice/fireandice.htm) ;)

Although 'Ice' is now completed (I'm using it for this :D), I ain't posted any pics o' the finished article... but it's just a cool bloo version of 'Fire' - only tidier :thumbsup:

Re PSU's... yeah... Enermax is a good make :thumbsup: again... see my sig - I'm using their 430w in both 'Fire' + 'Ice' ;) But I've got a 480w Antec 'TruePower' in another rig - plenty o' power there and it looks nice to boot :D

TheGreystar
9th October 2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by jema
These sorts of sizes make the idea of having a server box in the house housing your entire media collection a very distinct reality :)a 320gb drive represents about 150hours of high quality video!

jema

One of the tech monkeys @ work (he's 19, so is seriously hardware mental) has some 600Gig of Raid HD on his server. some 400 DivX (@1gig) films, most of the Futurama's to date (he rips them straight off SKY, and encodes them) which kick ass playing through his ceiling mounted projector.

Admittedly, it's reminicent of a "student house" with cabling all over the place, but is top for a friday night in with a few beers/100" film :)

BTW, a 2 hour DivX4 comes in at under a Gig - my average is 800MB, so 320MB is 700 hours (4 weeks constant) video :D Nice.

G*

Squeaky
9th October 2002, 11:27 AM
just a quick aside aimed at Mackerel... Raid 5?

I've read the various articles and posts about Raid on the board but the meat and bones of Raid 5 still alludes me, can you give me a basic description/purpose of 5 m8??

cheers in advance :)

mackerel
9th October 2002, 01:10 PM
Typical setup is to use n disks, which gives you n-1 disks worth of capacity. The extra disk worth of storage is used for redundancy, so that if one drive dies, the remaining n-1 can still run. You then pop a replacement drive in again to regain redundancy.

So overall, you get massive transfer rates and huge capacity, without much fear of loss of data due to mechanical failure. The chances of two disks failing at same time are very low.

Snag is controllers are complicated and expensive. Think Adaptec have an IDE one for few hundred quid. Then you have to buy a ton of disks too...

Terminator
9th October 2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by mackerel
So overall, you get massive transfer rates and huge capacity, without much fear of loss of data due to mechanical failure. The chances of two disks failing at same time are very low.I once had 2 drives and a RAID5 controller fail in a server :eek: Oh what an enjoyable weekend that was :D

mackerel
9th October 2002, 05:53 PM
Yup, unfortunately in the real world, however low the risk it, it is not zero. Does raid 5 allow more redundant disks to be used so that you could cover for say 2 simultaneous failures? Not sure if that would be affordable but would be useful if the drive count starts to get high.

Fireblade
9th October 2002, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Squeaky
just a quick aside aimed at Mackerel... Raid 5?

I've read the various articles and posts about Raid on the board but the meat and bones of Raid 5 still alludes me, can you give me a basic description/purpose of 5 m8??

cheers in advance :) there's a couple of good articles about RAID on Tom's Hardware here (http://www.tomshardware.com/newsletter/vol2/33/raid.html) + here (http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/02q3/020813/ide-raid-01.html) Squeaky, and another very good explanation over on ACNC (http://www.acnc.com/04_01_00.html) :thumbsup:

RaidZero
16th October 2002, 02:48 AM
Quick Message to all, if your running 6 drives as i know u nutter lot like me are
450 whatt is desirable, THIS DONT mean it take 400+ all the time,
the best annolagy i can come up with is if u had a bmw 3.5 v 8 would u use a fort fiesta battry to run it on ?? ok it may work for a few weeks but it aint made to take the load, problems orccure, not ones u dectect right away, say a resistor getting high temp and going to 0 Oms get a branded 450 for any decent system , beware many 300's r REBAGED to say 400, so take a old MULTIMETERE to your comuter store, even if it dont work they will **** then selfves and give your a real 400 - 450 supply

Rember Technolagy WORK for YOU too ! bring an occiascope into a car upgrade and mangment test station will ensure u get the WORKS not just done over (ps a lap top with a lead that looks like its linked to the laptop (even with tape) works a treat)