PDA

View Full Version : Another dumb Monitor question...

CyberdynSystems
25th September 2002, 02:33 AM
Actually more about Video cards.

When you have an image, desktop, screensaver, etc. displayed on your monitor, the graphics card is "working"... that is performing its function, generating an image, producing heat, etc.

If while this is going on, I switch the monitor OFF, does the graphics card continue to work and send info even though there is no monitor to display it? Or does it stop producing an image untill it senses a monitor?

If I set the screensaver to "Blank screen" will the card stop "working"?

Dumb, I know, but thinking about heat and electricity...

mackerel
25th September 2002, 07:37 AM
At a guess, go to the power settings and change the monitor shut off settings there. Hopefully the cards will be smart enough to know that if it just told the monitor to shutdown it will save itself a bit of work.

Valkyrie
29th September 2002, 05:32 AM
The graphics card is most definately still sending output to the monitor when the monitor power is turned off. I often turn the monitor off while the screensaver is still running. This will not harm your system. The graphics card can't detect if the monitor is off or on. Setting the screensaver to blank screen instead of a normal screensaver will conserve cpu utilization.

Valkyrie
29th September 2002, 05:38 AM
The graphics card will not stop sending output unless it totally breaks or it's yanked out of the system.

CyberdynSystems
29th September 2002, 07:00 AM
Thanks Valkyrie. "blank screen" it is.

Valkyrie
29th September 2002, 03:47 PM
:) Your welcome.