PDA

View Full Version : Power Supply MOD... INCREASE AIRFLOW

TThoRnGen
23rd September 2002, 07:40 PM
http://www.pretestedcpus.com/psmod2.jpg

As shown above, you can see the internal fan has been rewired so that it is getting 12v, instead of 5v..

What this modification does, is give the rear internal fan 12v, instead of only 5v. The fan is designed to run at 12v, but to keep it quiet, the manufacturer only gave it 5v. Running the fan at it's designed 12v keeps the power supply and your case much cooler by drawing more air.

CyberdynSystems
26th September 2002, 04:19 PM
Do you know if most powers supplies run the Fans at 5v?? Or is ythis a quirk from a particular manufacturer? I guess the only way to know is to check our own power supplies! Thanks for the tip, Thorngen. I'll have to do a little investigation!

TThoRnGen
26th September 2002, 07:51 PM
oh yeah most of them do... I have an antec "auto adjust fan speed controller" and now it runs soooo much faster and cooler... i took off the yellow wire "fan speed wire" and plugged tapped it into the 12volt... Like on the photo the yellow wire is snipped off the fan ... I did the same thing... WORKS AWSOME!

TThoRnGen
26th September 2002, 07:54 PM
one way to tell is to open the psu case and look where its plugged into... it shold say 5v there... or 12v but ive done this mod to like 15 psu's and all of them ran at 5v "now there at 12v :) " i even bought the shrink tubing so now it looks crisp and clean... :)

CyberdynSystems
27th September 2002, 04:28 AM
Neat. I wondred why my fan was soooo quiet on my new PSU.