PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhiker Gets Thumbs Up

Gservo
19th September 2002, 12:20 AM
Screenwriter Karey Kirkpatrick (Chicken Run) has come onboard to co-adapt the screenplay of Douglas Adams' satiric SF story The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy, Variety reported. Adams wrote his own feature adaptation before he died last May and will receive a posthumous producing credit on the proposed film, the trade paper reported.

Jay Roach (the Austin Powers franchise) is attached to direct and will produce with Spyglass Entertainment partners Roger Birnbaum and Gary Barber, the trade paper reported.

Hitchhikers, which started out as a BBC radio series, has previously been adapted as a novel, TV series and video game. It centers on Arthur Dent, who discovers that Earth is meant to be flattened for a hyperspace freeway bypass and is whisked away by an undercover alien.

Bozo
19th September 2002, 01:35 AM
I hope they can do it justice. Liked the TV series when it came out but find it very hard to watch now :(

By the way the game was great if you liked old fashioned text adventures but a bit tough for me, i didn't get very far. You can play the game online somewhere but I dont have the link to hand and I am not searching for it now.

speculative
19th September 2002, 05:21 AM
I watched the BBC version (? don't remember much detail about it) and remember that it was toooooooooooo looooooooooooong!!! :rolleyes: Geez, there was like 30 minutes of dead space @ the end... :/

-speculative

phoenix
21st September 2002, 01:16 AM
phillistine!

Fallguy
21st September 2002, 10:16 AM
I must confess,
I think making a film of Hitchhikers is a bad move. Its not going to translate well into a 2 or 3 hour time stop, and I'm not convinced that the humour will be appreciated by all.

I enjoyed reading the Hitchhikers series, but I have always thought Adams other books were better.

Fallguy

speculative
21st September 2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by phoenix
phillistine!

:p :lol:

phoenix
22nd September 2002, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Fallguy
I must confess,
I think making a film of Hitchhikers is a bad move. Its not going to translate well into a 2 or 3 hour time stop, and I'm not convinced that the humour will be appreciated by all.

I enjoyed reading the Hitchhikers series, but I have always thought Adams other books were better.

Fallguy

hm, dont be so sure, wasnt the first series was only 6 half hour episodes

Fallguy
22nd September 2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by phoenix

hm, dont be so sure, wasnt the first series was only 6 half hour episodes

Ah,
but I really didn't like the TV series - I much prefered the books. I thought the series was, well, boring? [shrug]

I guess I ride around on a horse raiding middle eastern cities and am renowned for a lack of culture too.... :p

Fallguy

Crabbles
24th September 2002, 10:15 AM
As with many (classic example Catch22) puting the contents of these books onto film is going to be very hard. I hope they break it down into a trilogy at least because making one 2/3 hr movie of the books is hardly likely to do it justice, somehow I can't see them doing it though.
Now, would you like some Vogon poetry to read young Spec?:0

One request, it needs a Brit to do the voice for Marvin. Only a Brit could do his monotone whinging properly.;)

phoenix
25th September 2002, 12:49 AM
The problem with HHGTTG is that it isnt really a story as such as a bunch of sceans strung together , each scean is pretty much self contained and centers arround a pseudo scientific joke or observation of the human condition, yes, there is an underlying story, but the story isnt the point.

So what sort of movie is Hollywood going to make out of it?, it wont work as an effects movie, and as a comedy many of the jokes are very highbrow and tend to go straight over heads of the average audience, the only way HHGTTG would work is if it was done allong the lines of Monty Python THG or LOB, and both those films were VERY low budget.