PDA

View Full Version : Wits end with MOBO Beeping!

CyberdynSystems
18th September 2002, 07:48 AM
O-kay,
For one of VERY few times in my life, I am at a complete loss!

My brand new super system is doing nothing but beeping at me!!!

XP1900+ on an Abit KG-7raid. First the Striped raid array dies today. At least thats what I thought was the problem. But now I have not only at least one dead hard drive but even with both drives removed from the raid slots, when I try and boot, I get a blank screen and long loud beeps.

One long beep,
pause,
one long beep, and thats it. (the beeps keep coming)

I've tried reseating evrything. Nothing changes. With nothing but Ram and Cpu installed, the same Beeps.

So, anyone know if there is hope, or is it,......"It's dead Jim"

Fireblade
18th September 2002, 09:51 AM
sounds serious m8 :( what BIOS does the Abit use? If it's Award, maybe Bios Central (http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm) can tell ya what the beeps mean?

If it ain't an Award BIOS, they also have other BIOS beep code links on this (http://www.bioscentral.com/misc/bioslinks.htm) page which might help? Have a look at the top right of that page for ddifferent BIOS beep code links :thumbsup:

Good luck ;)

Fallguy
18th September 2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by CyberdynSystems
O-kay,
For one of VERY few times in my life, I am at a complete loss!

My brand new super system is doing nothing but beeping at me!!!

XP1900+ on an Abit KG-7raid. First the Striped raid array dies today. At least thats what I thought was the problem. But now I have not only at least one dead hard drive but even with both drives removed from the raid slots, when I try and boot, I get a blank screen and long loud beeps.

One long beep,
pause,
one long beep, and thats it. (the beeps keep coming)

I've tried reseating evrything. Nothing changes. With nothing but Ram and Cpu installed, the same Beeps.

So, anyone know if there is hope, or is it,......"It's dead Jim"

I am not familiar with the board itself,
so I can't tell you what the beeps mean. However I would take the beeping as a good sign - usually its a warning that something attached to the board ain't right, rather than the board itself being dead. Generally, if it beeps its alive, if it doesn't do anything you are more likely in trouble.

Fallguy

^7_of_9
18th September 2002, 06:52 PM
Ram or Video most likely. If you don't like the beeping you can do what I usually do.
Rip the speaker off. :eek: Computer has never beeped at me since. :D

CyberdynSystems
19th September 2002, 01:34 AM
Well, If you read my other post, XP1600 = Poop, then you may allready no that this board AND CPU are dead dead dead. Whats worse is the XP1600 I just brought home is slower than my PIII 850!!!???

Still don't know what killed this rig,.. I blame Seti, I NEVER used to leavemy home PC running. Look what it got me!

^7_of_9
19th September 2002, 02:30 AM
Hmmm I say it's plain bad luck. Can't be Seti as I've got a PII450Mhz OC'd to 519Mhz that's been running 24/7 ever since Seti Was available to put on it.

zeke
19th September 2002, 08:57 AM
Have you disabled the raid chip and tried booting from Main ide controller?

CyberdynSystems
19th September 2002, 09:37 PM
This is what I know,
The Athlon XP1900 is dead.
It will not funcstion in my "spare" board.
The Athlon 1 gig works fine in the "spare" board
The Athlon 1 gig will NOT function in the Dead baord.
The new XP1600, runs real slow in the "Spare" board, and will not post in the dead board.

So I have;
1 Dead KG-7
1 Dead XP1900
1 Working KG-7 (but ??? because of XP1600)
1 Working Athlon 1 gig
1 questionable XP1600 (runs slow in spare board)

Thanks for your help guys. And No I'm not really blaming SETI, that was joking.

Nice new avatar Borgman ^7! :)

^7_of_9
19th September 2002, 09:47 PM
Can you get everything replaced under warranty?

Thanks for the comment.
Chose it for the upcoming Wacky Races. Going to edit when I get home today as all they have here at work is Microsoft Photo Editor :eek:

I'll use Adobe on it at home tonight.

CyberdynSystems
19th September 2002, 10:21 PM
The Board, probably, but the CPU was oem,.. I think 30 days on those.