PDA

View Full Version : Watercooling help please?

Feiticeira
11th September 2002, 06:39 PM
Hey guys
I just changed my watercooling rig from inline to a reservoir setup. At the moment it runs from pump in reservoir (big addis containter with a gallon or so water in it with lid on) to cpu to radiator but the water temp is getting very hot. I dont think this is down to the radiator, i think it may be the pump as that always got very hot when running inline, have you guys got any advice or cheap ways to lower the water temperature without using a seperate loop or pelt??
Thanks for any replies
Dave

CyberdynSystems
15th September 2002, 05:36 AM
Sorry no ones gotten back to you yet. I've been staying out of this as I've never run a water cooled unit. Dicki is better suited to answer this.

But,.......... it's been a few days and... As one who always has an opinion,....

Thermodynamically speaking, I would have to say that the radiator is the issue. Even if you're pump is adding heat, it is the radiators job to cool things done again. So either more cool air via fan on the radiator or a bigger rad... Also, it was just August, so room temp may play a factor.

^7_of_9
15th September 2002, 05:44 AM
I don't run watercooling myself either but ....

You got a small "Beer Fridge" you can use? Stick the rad in the freezer part and that'd cool down the water going through it in a hurry. Just make sure you use some Anti-freeze :D

Otherwise I would think about putting maybe another fan or something blowing across the fins of the rad as a temporary measure to see if anything changes.

Like CDS said as well though. It was August .....

CyberdynSystems
15th September 2002, 05:47 AM
Y'know the beer fridge is not a joke. Home depot and even CVS Pharmacy are selling a $40.00 6 beer (soda can) fridge. And, you guessed it, its a peltier. Its quiet too. And it looks just like a cute little I-Mac. So put you're Rad and a few beers in and surf away!!!

^7_of_9
15th September 2002, 06:15 AM
Actually I was looking into a small Beer Fridge as well when I first started my stomper as it would have been great for cooling, however when I looked at the power consumption and the amount of heat given off by three or more boards in that small fridge I decided that it wasn't worth it. If it's just a single board and all or other HArdware then it'd be great otherwise you need a full size fridge for anything more or you'd be running the cooler 24/7 and kill it inside of a year :(

Feiticeira
15th September 2002, 01:47 PM
yeh, ive thought about a mini fridge before, there a bit more expensive here in the UK and im sure my parents would go mad when they see the electricity bill as this comps on a lot of the time. Im not dismissing the idea though, i will take a look around and if i see one i may pick it up. Ive never really looked into sealing everything away from the condensation but i suppose with only a mini fridge itll just effect a little bit of the tubing as its not that powerfull??
Thanks for the sugestions
Dave

Dewill
15th September 2002, 02:06 PM
Hi Guys
Dave you say your pump runs hot, Would it not be better to look for a better pump. It may also improve the flow rate. which will improve the cooling.
Be it air or liquid your system will only be as good as the cooling.

Regards
Jed

ps this may have been better posted in the cooling forum.

dicki
16th September 2002, 06:16 PM
hi dave, sorry i didn't catch this earlier i was away for the weekend

lets have a looksee... okay so you started off with a system that was a

combined res/pump -> cpu -> rad -> res/pump

now all you've done is this

res -> inline pump -> cpu -> rad -> res

and the water temps have started going up right?

firstly can you give us a run down of the whole system, what pump, block and radiator and if it's the same pump you used origionally.

the actual heat of the pump shouldn't matter when it's inline as they arn't water cooled, a small amount of water is used to lubricate the bearings but thats it and its not enough to increase water temps significantly

whats more likly is that you bought a matched system like the old becooling one and then bought an uprated pump which is now too powerful for the system. let me know what parts you've got and we'll see if we can suggest anything

dicki

Dewill
16th September 2002, 06:34 PM
Hi Dicki
The pump is now in the res, was inline before.
If it runs hot outside of res, that heat will now be in the system will it not :D
Thus adding to the temps.
Answer move pump back outside or change for a better one , ie one that runs cooler.

Jed ;)

dicki
16th September 2002, 09:21 PM
doh! i read the post backwards obviously! lol

anyway yeah what jed said, my eheim runs nice and cool so i can recommend one of them or move it back inline

Feiticeira
16th September 2002, 10:06 PM
so general concensus be to get an eheim pump then :P
ill take a look around, money is scarce and details of block and rad are in sig :) 3/8" fittings btw. Now the weather is cooler it does seem to have helped a lot but i may still move over as i only bought this pump as a temporary measure as i ran out of money over a year ago when i was setting the system up :)
I want the water cool as im thinking of adding to the system when i have the money :)
Cheers for the help guys
Dave

dicki
17th September 2002, 08:04 AM
if your going to add to the system then it's not worth getting anything less than an eheim they are quality pumps as used by many of the top clockers and swiftech in thier quiet power cases.

if you need help finding one try here (http://www.pclincs.co.uk) ;)

RaNGeR.GaV
18th September 2002, 04:58 AM
I noticed that a pump I had running in my old water-cooled system was producing quite a bit of heat after I ran the pump/res "closed loop" to test for leaks in the res. After about an hour the water was pretty damn warm. But I've kept this setup for my watercooled vidcard (to save space), and becasue the heat my pump produces (along with a gf3 core), is pretty negligible.