PDA

View Full Version : Pentium 5 - Lockdown !

The Therion
10th September 2002, 10:44 PM
"Bracing itself for another potential fight with computer privacy advocates, Intel Corp. said yesterday that its next generation of microchips, due next year, would include anti-piracy features that will protect computers against hackers and viruses while giving digital publishers powerful new tools to control the use of their products.

The technology, code-named LaGrande, was designed to protect computers from viruses and bad-natured hackers. But the feature will also give Hollywood, the recording industry, and software makers much stronger controls over the way consumers use their digital music, films, and computer programs.Publishers, for example, may prevent PCs that run LaGrande and Microsoft Corp.'s software-based Palladium security technology from copying CDs, forwarding certain documents, or running unlicensed software.

Paul Otellini, Intel's president, said the chip maker would include no copyright protections in LaGrande, but he acknowledged that digital publishers could use the technology with software programs such as Palladium to create their own.

Intel intends to include the technology in the Prescott chip design, which will succeed the Pentium 4 as the Santa Clara, Calif., company's flagship PC chip in the second half of 2003."

(source : www.boston.com )

Rids
11th September 2002, 09:17 AM
Ah, so big brother is not content with watching anymore.
It should give the hackers a neat challenge.
How many days do you reckon? :p

TheGreystar
11th September 2002, 09:46 AM
Let me think...

Well, if they develop it behind closed doors, like the "unbreakable" DVD encription, I give it a few weeks for a hack for it. I'll still be buying Athlons though, so no big loss there.

G*

phoenix
11th September 2002, 09:07 PM
lets think this baby though a minute.....

Intel are introducing this new hardware based security measure thats gonna stop piracy....

If its a stand alone job then all AMD have to do is not use this feature in their chip and Intel go bust... unless Intel and anti piracy lobby can legislate AMD to include an equivalent feature.

Therefor, assuming for it to work there is an element in the software/music/DVD that works with the chip such that the materiel will only play on chips with this feature, and Intel have major backing for this move then there soon will be no new software thats compatable with AMD kit, All old AMD and Intel kit becomes obsolete, does that include all existing DVD players, CD players????

AMD will be forced to respond by including the feature in their chips....

If they can reverse engineer the feature it will cast a doubt over the unrackability of the feature, and you can betcha ass somebody will make the pro piracy chip

If they have to licence the feature from Intel, Intel may not play ball and not licence it, arguing that without this feature AMD chips are effectively the different platform they always have been and that intel are not preventing anyone from building AMD platforms, its a pity that no software houses produce stuff for it because they want to promote the intel system, this isnt unlikely many software houses dont officially support not Intel machines.

Intel may play ball and make the feature open licence, thus encouraging the redundancy of old kit, and promoting new kit sales.

Intel may be forced by anti competition laws to licence the feature to AMD....

this is a bit of a new football!!!!

TGC
11th September 2002, 11:22 PM
There is also the possiblity that Intel is jumping the gun here. As it stands now (in the US) there is a growing concern amounst members of Congress that the Millinimum Copyright Act went to far and is being expolited by the RIAA and MPAA.

It seems the Fair Use Lobbying group and EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) have been at least partially successful in thier efforts to enlist the help of knowledgable members of Congress to start questioning the Act and it's enforcement. Latest word is that there may be Congressianal Hearings on the matter. But make no mistake, the parties pushing for greater restrictions are pouring tons of money into lobbying efforts to gain greater control over what we as consumers are allowed and not allowed to do.

There has been a Federal law stating that one can infact make copies of any type of media be it print, sound, video, ect... for ones on use and enjoyment. But the powers that be, with alot of pressure from RIAA and MPAA are going beyond what the said Act was trying to address and intended to stop. The unlawful coping and distributing of material for profit. Some how this standing Federal Law is being ignored in most cases, even in court proceedings.

The length to which the US Commerce Department has sold out was evident at the latest DRM meeting in which all parties where invited except any consumer advocates group. But EFF and Free Use were tipped off to the meeting and arrived with the news media in tow thus allowed to view but not participate in the discussions. They where promised that they would have a chance to voice thier concerns at a later meeting (yeah, right!)

The really story behind this meeting was that it was setup to help resolve the differences between all parties, which included not only RIAA and MPAA representitives but representitives from Microsoft, Sony Electronics, AOL Time Warner, ect..... It seems the RIAA and MPAA are complaining it is taking the Software Companies and Electronics Manufacters too long to implement changes and responde to thier (RIAA and MPAA) requests.

I have to chip in here with a kudo's for IBM and Phillips Electronics, they kept asking and advocating the need for consumer representation at "all" of these meetings.

For me the real rub is the fact that here are a bunch of high paid flunkies for 'Big Business' deciding what is and what is not allowable under current US law and appling to not only the US but the world as well, without even consulting the would be end user. It is just inconcievable to me that the US Government/Commerce Dept. are allowing a couple of special interest groups (RIAA and MPAA) run roughshod over the manufacters of electronic equitment and consumers in general. The hope is that enough members in Congress will see the light and put a stop to this insanity and hopefully Intel has added a switich to turn off it's no-copy instruction set.

;)

phoenix
12th September 2002, 10:54 AM
The real dumb thing is that whilst the USA are busy tying themselves in knots trying to legislate against piracy, the rest of the world are carrying on as normal.

Any laws passed will have absolutely no effect whatsoever on the big bad piracy operations, these more often than not are not operating in the USA, and even if they were operating in the USA they have access to the technical knowhow to pretty much bypass any security measures implemented, even if it means supplying their customers with special chips (ala PS2) to enable them to play pirated software.

Nope, what these laws will do is inconvinience the general public a little!

TGC
12th September 2002, 11:38 AM
There is a growing feeling that this goes beyond piracy, even though it is a concern, but is really an attempt by RIAA and MPAA to shutdown any competition in thier business.

Artisit and Musicans are increasingly becoming aware of the power of the PC. For several thousand $'s one can build a powerful digital studio that can match anything the movie and audio studios can produce. With the rise of Internet and Satillite Radio it is become clear that there are alternative outlets for musicians to present thier art/music to the general public without using the middleman studios and thier long term contracts.

If the RIAA and MPAA have thier way one will only be able to play
'thier' approved movies/music without any options to record them. That is why they have enlisted the electronics firms in thier efforts, if the CD's /DVD's do not have 'thier' special coding it will not play on the device.

It is my firm belief that they full intend to strangle any type of competition in the marketplace, sadly enough with the help of the US Government.

As everyone is well aware they are attacking P2P at every turn, claiming it is nothing more than an copyright ripoff, that 95% of P2P transactions are song/movie sharing. Thier efforts are aimed at outlawing p2p software. I think it is no where near as high of a percentage as that, it is just that it is getting more attention in the media, mainly because of RIAA's protests and legal battles.

I have to agree that they cannot stop the people in other countries and most of the piracy originates elsewhere, but only have they now started going after the ISP's of the pirates, getting them to shutdown access, they are trying to force the main Internet provides such as UU Net to cutoff access/block access to different IP's Mostly in China) completely. If they are successful in forcing the blockage of whole ranges of IP's it does not bode well for the Internet as whole.

There is something seriously wrong here if a few Big Business's can control what was suppose to be a medium devoted to the free expression of ideas and information for the entire world. If these US business's can control who has access to the internet and who does not, the rest of the world should be up in arms. It will be opening a floodgate of special interest groups opposing some content or other that they do not agree with and therefore needs to be blocked too!

As you can see there is more going on here than meets the eye. There are a whole range of problems and concerns involved with this supposed anti-piracy policy being developed. This is something that the Internet community in general should keep a wary eye on.

speculative
16th September 2002, 03:34 AM
This is scary stuff, as always...

Perhaps I'll just buy a bunch of tapes and record the new hit singles off the radio like in the olden days? HAHA, take THAT music industry! Jeez... Like I always say, if I'm too cheap to buy the album, I'm not gonna buy the album, whether I'm able to pirate it or not doesn't matter, I won't buy it period. Make music cheaper, and they'd make a lot more money I'd wager. :rolleyes:

-speculative

TheGreystar
17th September 2002, 01:44 PM
I'd be more inclided to buy a CD if it had really good quality MP3's on it, as that's what most of my music gets converted to anyways. There are a few groups that have bundled the video's for singles on the CD's too - with a massive jump in sales, as it's a value add.

Why not deliver better product (as the marginal cost is zero) than try to lobby for government protection??? Am I the only capitalist left that believes that to stop piracy and knock off goods, that you have to be continually improving your service and products, so the "real" thing is better than the 6 month old pirated copy....

A really high quality widescreen film that was 5Gig, would be much less likely to be pirated (it'd take a week to download) and even if it was cut down (DivX'ed), you'd generate sales from people who'd go buy the DVD to see the decent quality cut.

G*