PDA

View Full Version : Tsc

TGC
29th August 2002, 10:29 PM
I seem to have accidently let it be known that there is a 3DHQ Team for the TSC project. This is a team I created when we were first looking to form a team for 3DHQ. We did not want to create a conflict with anything Picard was running at the time, so I was looking at new projects and testing the clients. This team account was created before I decide that DF would be the better project. It has been dorment since that time.

The problem is several people noticed it on the stats page I linked to in the math forums thread. And now Mackerel has started running the project and others have expressed interest as well. I have even considered running again now that they have fixed alot of the bugs and the stats are reliable.

This in of itself is not a problem, but the question is does 3dhq team members want to bring it in under the 3dhq projects forums or not? It is up to you as a team to decide.

Sorry if this causes trouble, had I taken the time to look closely at the stats (or even dreamed that it would be there) I would have thought twice about the link.

bubbadog
29th August 2002, 10:32 PM
I, for one, would be interested in finding out more about this. As you know, we have discussed taking on another project in addition to DF. Since I'm feeling pretty lazy today, would you mind posting the link here?

TGC
29th August 2002, 10:50 PM
The Project Home (http://www.childhooddiseases.org/)

Team Stats Page (http://d2ol.childhooddiseases.org/memberServices/teamProfile.jsp?id=105)

Top Teams (http://d2ol.childhooddiseases.org/stats/topTeams.jsp)

Seems more people running it now! :) Ans I was not aware you were looking for something else to run, hence the hesitation in posting about this.

bubbadog
29th August 2002, 10:55 PM
Well, it hasn't been actively pursued, but we have discussed the possiblility if the right project came along.

Ragnarog
29th August 2002, 11:12 PM
Well it looks like ppl are automagically jumping on the 3dhq team... :)

Rag

Chelle
29th August 2002, 11:18 PM
James, I know we already talked about this but just to mention again I personally don't see a problem. As I said with the smaller protein DF is doing now a couple people (on dialup) are looking for an alternative project in the interim, so something like this under the Team 3DHQ banner could prove to be a good alternative.

The project itself looks like a very good one. I'd be interested in seeing the client.

Ragnarog
29th August 2002, 11:20 PM
If the client is apparented to the sengent client, the it should be stable and nice. The statscertainly look _exactly_ like the sengent stats and it does say "powered by sengent" :D

Rag

mackerel
29th August 2002, 11:20 PM
This thread (http://ninjamicros.com/vbulletin/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=14354) is where TGC originally posted the link to the external site (http://www.msu.edu/user/bercikda/DC_Rank.html) showing an inter-team/inter-project table.

I started running TSC to help get the TP/3DHQ team up a place as it seems to be the best way to quickly get points.

Having said that, I've now restarted distributed folding to increase my personal score in Extreme-SSS (http://ninjamicros.com/vbulletin/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=14464).

TGC
29th August 2002, 11:24 PM
It is the Sengent client, TSC was the first to use thier services, and to be honest, it was not ready for prime time when first released.
It has under gone extensive changes (does not leak memory like a seive anymore) the stats are reliable, overall a good client, good stats, a worthy cause.

LinearB
29th August 2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by mackerel
Having said that, I've now restarted distributed folding to increase my personal score in Extreme-SSS (http://ninjamicros.com/vbulletin/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=14464).

There ought to be a special award for me bringing these lost sheep back to their flocks ;)

Meadmaker
30th August 2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by TGC
It is the Sengent client, TSC was the first to use thier services, and to be honest, it was not ready for prime time when first released.
It has under gone extensive changes (does not leak memory like a seive anymore) the stats are reliable, overall a good client, good stats, a worthy cause.

That's good news, 'cos I've joined! :D

Onwards and upwards, 3DHQ!

LinearB
30th August 2002, 07:43 PM
Oh look a nice new home, best d/l this client now :D

Squeaky
30th August 2002, 07:46 PM
three questions... small memory footprint? nonet? service? and no auto-updates? four questions..

answer yes to all three..err four and I can throw a few machines this way :)

Jules
30th August 2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by LinearB

There ought to be a special award for me bringing these lost sheep back to their flocks ;)

WE can all line up and give you a big :hug: and :kiss:

....still want that special award? ;)

Ragnarog
30th August 2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Squeaky
three questions... small memory footprint? nonet? service? and no auto-updates? four questions..

answer yes to all three..err four and I can throw a few machines this way :)

medium
limited time
not sure
autoupdates

I think :)

Rag

Meadmaker
30th August 2002, 08:46 PM
Basically, it's "Sengent" with another name. Initially it's quite internet-intensive until it "learns" about your connection habits.

You can adjust the size of the cache to suit your own preferences, and there's a very good little monitor program called "DSpy" so you hide the cutesy-poo graphics and speed up the crunching.

Fallguy
30th August 2002, 09:50 PM
Well,
I have had a look see, interesting.
Their website is very pretty, but slow to load (this may just be my piss poor internet connection). I also disliked the way it tried to automatically install the client when I went to the download instructions page - if I did install it, it wouldn't be on this PC.

Thats another point, only this PC on my network has internet access through a slow and intermittant dial up. Can I move cached work around PCs over my network (as I do with DF) or doesn't that work? Or does it require that work be crunched on the same PC that it is downloaded to?

Is there a command line version of the client? I haven't used Sengent before (last time I looked it required pretty much permenant internet access, which made it about as useless as Folding@Home for me).

I may move one of my slower PCs across, perhaps my laptop which does struggle to do DF with the -rt switch (only 192MB RAM) and use office applications.

Also as a nasty and suspicious thought - the same "docking" principle that is used to develop medicine could also be used to develop biological agents of a less benevolent nature. What guarentees are there that your work is not being used for this purpose? And if they do develop new medicines, how are they going to get them to market?

Fallguy

Meadmaker
30th August 2002, 09:59 PM
For the more technical points raised, I'm best leaving that to someone with more expertise than I have, but your point about the possible uses (or perhaps misuses would be better) of the research, I can only say the following:

The "sengent" client is being used by proxy. Tha actual research is being done by the Rothberg Institute for Childhood Diseases. I've read through their "brief" and they seem to be genuine (as far as anyone can be certain of such things nowadays).

TGC
30th August 2002, 11:34 PM
Proxy support is built into the client, when first installed if it can not connect directly it will ask you for the proxy info. :)

LinearB
31st August 2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Jules

WE can all line up and give you a big :hug: and :kiss:

....still want that special award? ;)

As long as I can miss out a few in the line, I'm happy with that ;)

Fallguy
31st August 2002, 07:28 AM
Another question:

Does it really require internet access every 24 hours or so? Often I can't get online or am away with work for several days, is there no way to cache work (a la SETIDriver)?

If it does require internet access every 24 hours, and you can't improve that, then its probably more hassle than its worth to install for me. I'd have to baby sit it every night... :(

Fallguy

Meadmaker
31st August 2002, 10:08 AM
It depends on the machine, really.

You can set it to receive 100 Woots, and then uncheck the "Online" box (right-click the toolbar icon, and select "properties").

My XP2000 crunches about 4 woot/hour, but my PIII 500 only pushes out about 1.5.

HTH.

Monkeymia
25th March 2003, 11:46 AM
New project for me :)

Rids
25th March 2003, 02:50 PM
You going for the full set? :lol:

Monkeymia
25th March 2003, 02:54 PM
Is there any I have missed? :D

:thumbsup:

Meadmaker
25th March 2003, 03:00 PM
Evolution@Home! :D

Monkeymia
25th March 2003, 03:11 PM
I've been looking at your sticky for Evo and it looks like hard work. I will definitley look more into it tho' :D

Meadmaker
25th March 2003, 03:21 PM
Believe me, MM it is hard work. Nothing's automated, and you have to email in the results. Still, it is another worthy project......:D

10:13
7th May 2003, 07:50 AM
Ok ... I'm confused ... I came to this thread to figure out how to setup TSC and join ... and danged if I can figure it out ...

*decides to go nback and reread the thread ... *
*thinking the first post needs to be reworked so that newbies can be enticed easier*
*hint, hint*

LinearB
7th May 2003, 08:13 AM
Allready on it m8, I'll try and do the same as in the maths forum which is to keep the Sticky to the point and remove all the noise :).

Also think we need a Sengent sticky, as interest seems to be picking up there also ;)

Terminator
7th May 2003, 12:10 PM
NO Sengent sticky !! everyone should run TSC it's for the best :D

data
8th May 2003, 01:25 AM
saw this TSC sticky and thought my luck was in - but no details on how to set this up or anything - A well will have to just try and remember from the TSC days :o